Saturday, September 13, 2008

Call Me Smith, Black Smith.






Actually his name is Gary Hinman, blacksmith extraordinaire. Here he is in action at The Windsor On The Arts Music and Arts Festival, held on September 13,2008. Gary, a co-worker and pastor of The Nanticoke Baptist Church is also a blacksmith. He attends many functions in the Windsor area demonstrating the art of blacksmithing. As a Civil War reenactor, I am in need of metal cooking utensils.A few months back Gary asked if there was anything I needed for the reenactments. I told him I needed something to use for cooking over an open fire. He said he had a tripod I could borrow for the event at Pierce Creek. Gary said he was going to be demonstrating at the upcoming arts festival in Windsor, and would make a tripod all for myself. As an added bonus his son,Christopher made a device for raising and lowering the cooking pot. Many thanks to Gary and Christopher for their generosity and willingness to do this for my family and I. The photos give a brief essay of the making of the tripod.